Find out more about our work....
"Bringing the Past to Life" - Parishscapes Project 2007 - 2010
"The Parishscapes project was a community project that aimed to make all the tithe maps for the East Devon AONB parishes available for public use as a means of increasing awareness of these historical maps and their connections to our landscape.....past and present"
1. Digitised parish tithe maps, providing a picture of land use, land ownership and settlement in 1840 and make them available for public use. This work was done with support from East Devon District Council IT services.
2. Transcribed original apportionment documents for every parish in East Devon, which can now be accessed by clicking on the highlighted link (please note that it may be necessary to click on the parish name twice to open pdfs). The Devon Record Office assisted in the scanning of these documents.
3. Activities with local groups and individuals to gather oral history of personal insights into change of landscape and landscape features across the area.
4. Workshops with schools and communities to develop study materials, resources and new skills to improve our understanding of landscape change and its relationship with wildlife, both past and present.
5. Walks, talks, exhibitions, conferences and community archaeology digs to help bring the past to life
We also guided people find other sources of information such as;
- 'Vision of Britain' - which provides maps, statistical trends and historical descriptions between 1801 and 2001
- 'English Heritage' - National Monuments Record View Finder - catalogue of photographic archives
- 'Landscapes old and new' - photographs obtained as part of a Landscape Education Resource in 1998
Other Parishscapes Outputs
For more project information see our final report (4mb).
Pages 42 to 44 - Provide an example of a primary school exercise using tithe maps
Pages 59 to 98 - Provide an account of the archaeological excavation of a deserted cottage at Summerdown Farm, Northleigh.