POH Transcripts - 1887

< Go back to the previous page

Continuation of POH Diary starting at 28th. January 1887.

Fri, 28. Beautiful day like spring. Thermometer 50’ out of doors. Mr. Ede asked me to go to Lansdowne and take an early dinner with him. He is alone. Two of his sons are in Paris, and the third is gold digging in South Africa, and his daughter in London studying for the medical profession. Many and various are the opinions on this course. In the present day the women are advancing fast. I see no harm in it myself. Some think they can never make such efficient practitioners as men. Perhaps not in difficult cases; but I imagine that their own sense would make them refrain from undertaking surgical cases not suited to their sex. If this be so, they will be very efficient in the sphere of practice best suited to them as women. Few would have never to attempt operations.

Sat. 29. Mild, but not so mild as yesterday. Called on Mr. John de la Pole.

February 1887.

Th. Feb. 3. Strong on-shore wind and hazy. A steamer was descried lying at anchor seven miles off, south-east. As she did not make signals of distress, the Life-boat did not go off. Fishermen however, launched one of their boats and went to her. They then went to Beer, and telegraphed to Sidmouth. The steamer, I understood, had met with some accident to her machinery, which could be put right, and she was in no danger, so she was left to take care of herself.

M. Feb. 7.Mr. Stanford called, and we had a long chat - the climate, which he extols, as compaired with London at this season; book making; publishing; the medical profession in London and the country; charges; female Doctors. &c., &c.

Fri. 11. All week it has been extremely cold, from the presence of a searching wing from the north-east, and I have been keeping house. To-day I spent most of the daylight in carving the finials for my oak bookcase, now near completion.

M. 14. Mr. Edward Chick came in, and we looked over some geological sections.

W. 16. The Rev. Mr. Foxley Norris called, and we conversed on various subjects for nearly an hour. Finished skimming over a box of old vellum deeds lent me by Mr. Culverwall, the stationer, which had belonged to Miss. Creighton of No.1 Coburg Terrace. I wanted to look them over to see if there was anything of a historical nature relating to Sidmouth or the neighbourhood, but I was disappointed. They appear to be the clearance of the office of some merchant and ship owner, living in or near London, and they range in date from 1644 to 1748. I have skimmed them enough to see what they were, and I have marked each one with a number, from 1 to 108. The name of Gregory Page, residing at Greenwich, occurs most frequently in them. He eventually became a Baronet.

Fri. 18. Dr. Radford called. Lending books to friends, (so called,) and never getting them returned, formed one topic of our conversation.

Thermometer 47’ out of doors. Called at the Elms, on the Buttemers, to return two Nos. of the “Graphic,”

The Vicar and Mr. Chessall called while I was out.

Sat. Feb. 19. Our best lime engravers lay great stress on “the lay of the lines,” and by attention to this nice department of their art they produce the finest effects of flesh, drapery, form, and the different texture of the garments with which their figures are clothed. In my sketchbook I have been practising this art, and in the margin I give a specimen, without insisting on its personal beauty.

M. 21. The papers inform us that last Wednesday the 14th. The Queen’s Jubilee was celebrated by the Jails and setting free 25.000 prisoners in India, and all debts of 100 rupees and under are cancelled, and the government will pay them. All sorts of schemes are being suggested in nearly every town in England, and not excepting Sidmouth. In Lethaby’s Sidmouth Journal I have had letters on the subject in the January and February numbers, and on the first of next month there will be another.

This evening Mr. Edward Chick of High Street, had tea with me.

Tu. 22. Shrove Tuesday. Had an early dinner with Mr. and Mrs. George Buttemer, at the Elms, west of All Saints Church; and after that I walked up to the Elysian Fields, and enquired for Mr. Ede, who got chilled while dressing one of our Cold mornings a few days ago - nearly lost consciousness, and broke a blood vessel. He is kept quiet in bed, and is better. Saw his eldest son Beachley, who was written for in Paris, and Miss Ede, his daughter, who was telegraphed for from London.

W. 23. Ash Wednesday, first day of Lent.

Th. 24. Walked out to Sid House, Salcombe Parish, and enquired for Mr. Knapp. The papers mention the occurrence of some terrible earthquakes between 6 and 8 yesterday morning all along the coast of the Gulf of Genoa. They ran along from Nice, by Monaco, Genoa, Mentone, Milan, Leghorn, &c., to Rome. Some towns and villages much shattered. Reported that some 1500 people have been killed.

Fri. Feb. 25. Executed a new Will. Changes take place in families, and these changes suggest changes in one’s arrangements.

Sat. 26. Easterly wind; fine and dry, but rather cold. Pmomet 47’. Called at Lansdowne. Went up stairs - found - Mr. Ede in bed - weak, but better. Talked with him 10 or 12 minutes, - came down and had afternoon tea with Beachley & Miss Fanny Ede.

M. 28. Called at Powys. Had a long talk with Miss Catherine Kennet Dawson, whom I knew as a girl, and the usual afternoon cup of tea. She shewed me a circular dish made entirely of iridescent plates of mother of pearl, united by metal, but out of sight. It had belonged to Miss Kennet, (from whom they derive that name) who was the second wife of Thomas Pownall, Governor of Massachusetts before my great-grandfather.

March 1887.

Tu. March 1. Called at the Rev. Pigott-James, and on Mr. Stanford. Both at home.

A third letter of mine on the subject of the Queen’s Jubilee appears in the Sidmouth Journal.

W. 2. Called to enquire after Mr. Ede at Lansdowne, and Mr. Knapp at Sid House.

Th. 3. Last year a friend gave me a specimen of curious eastern writing, such as I had not seen before, and could say no more than it came from the East Indies, or somewhere there about. It begins like this, -&c, - .

It reads I believe, like Hebrew, so that the beginning is at the end of my line above. It is on part of a large leaf, 21 inches long, and four broad; the small letters 3/8ths. of an inch high; written on both sides; and beautifully done with gilding and brown paint resembling Japanese lacquer. I now learn that the writing is a Pali MS., in square Burmese character, and that it is written on the leaves of the Talipot tree.

Tu. 8. Last year a publisher in London gave me an engraving of Lord Hutchinson (of Alexandria,) which I sent to-day to Mr. and Lady Katherine Buchanan, as

Lady Katherine is a Hely-Hutchinson.

Mr. Foxley Norris called and shewed me some chalcedonies, jaspers, and petrified wood, he had picked up on the beach. They come from the Greensand formation.

Mr. Edward Chick had tea with me.

The recent earthquakes in the south of Europe have called forth the prophesying powers of a German philosopher. He foretells that there is likely to be another at the next new moon - 24th. Instant - and perhaps another at the succeeding new moon on the 23rd. of April. He grounds his belief on the molten and fluid interior of the globe, and that the position of the heavenly bodies at the dates will possess sufficient influence by their attraction, to act on the pliable mass, just as they do on the ocean to cause tides. I am not aware however, that earthquakes, (caused by the breaking up of the earths crust,) have been observed to prevail more at such periods than at any others. Mais nous verrons,- si nous sommes ici.

Tu. Mar. 15. I have finished reading the History of Exeter by Dr. Freeman, Professor of Modern History at Oxford, just come out. It is a small book, but well arranged, and will be the standard history of that city until some courageous person, willing to make it the work of his life, will go over all the ecclesiastical and municipal records, and parochial Registers, that still remain to be examined, and produce two or three well digested quartos. The real history of Exeter has yet to be written.

Th. 17. The papers say the Earl of Iddesleigh’s personalty, for the purposes of his Will, has been sworn at £23.555,,2,,2.

Gale of wind with rain and snow Tuesday night. The sun of yesterday melted all it fell upon yesterday. Second snow at Sidmouth this winter.

Tu. 22. Public meeting at the London Hotel, the Vicar in the chair, to consider the best way to celebrate the Jubilee of the 50th. Year of Her Majesty’s reign. Some proposed to build a Town Hall in commemoration; others a pier or landing-stage on the sea shore, or endow the Cottage Hospital, or make a public recreation ground, or build public baths. All these I fear would cost too much, and in the next place it must be borne in mind, that all buildings or establishments that require yearly subscriptions to keep up, or depend on popular favour, rarely have a very long existence, and therefore are not much use as “memorials.” I advocated a large cairn, made out of the blocks of flint Breccia, from one to ten tons apiece, that lie scattered about on our hills, and over our valleys:- or a bronze casting nearly as thick as ones hand, and 4 or 5 feet square, bearing a simple inscription in large letters, and bolted up against the strongest and most massive wall in the parish, and a laugh was raised when I suggested that the only really strong wall I could find was in the church tower:- or failing that, I suggested a large medal of bronze, with a profile of Her Majesty on one side, and a suitable inscription on the other - that 100 copies of it be struck, of which 50 should be distributed among the Museums and other institutions of the country, and the rest given or sold to private individuals and Art Collectors. Any of these things would really be “memorials.” I fear that too much of the subscriptions will go on eating and drinking.

Th. Mar. 24. I dined with Mr. and Mrs. Stanford, two young ladies and a Mr. Saunders, or Sanders, as it is differently spelt, at Glen View, so called.

Fri. 25. Mr. & Mrs. Stanford and Mr. S. called, and we had an afternoon tea, and a long chat over many subjects - arts, sciences, and history.

Th. Mar. 31. An early dinner with Mr. & Mrs. G. Buttemer at the Elms.

April 1887.

Fri. Ap. 1. My friend Mr. Henry Ede, of Lansdowne, died this morning about half past four o’clock from disorder of the liver, with haemorrhage, after an illness of six or seven weeks.

In the afternoon I met a few friends at Miss Acraman’s.

Sat. 2. More like a spring day. Miss L. Acraman, Miss Woodhouse, and Miss Warry, formerly of Sidmouth, spent an hour or two over an afternoon tea, in looking over books and pictures, and talking - de omibz red et de qbzda aliis.

Tu. 5. Attended the funeral of Mr. Ede at the Cemetery. He was laid near the SE corner of the Chapel, where his wife was laid 2 or 3 years ago. I rode up in a mourning coach with Mr. Alrired, whose new house on the flank of Peak Hill is nearly finished.

Th. 7. Called at Lansdowne, and had an hour’s chat with Elton Ede, the eldest son. Offered to be of any service to him whilst he might be away.

Fri. 8. Good Friday - which passed off with the usual ceremonies.

Sat. Ap. 9. At last I have got a solution to the puzzle mentioned at last November 16. It has been ingeniously struck out by the Rev. Wm. Sewell, at present Curate of Sidmouth. Though rather free in its rendering, it at all events makes sense out of what was nonsense. For instance, as follows -

SATOR, I, a farmer, (of Sator, a sower, or planter, from sero, v. to sow.)

AREPO, Creep not, or am not idle. (From a, negative, and repo, to creep. Quasi Non repo.)

TENET, my business, work, or occupation.

OPERA, engages, or employs,

ROTAS, my carto, days, or wagons. (Wheels for carriages. Pars prototo.)

And on the opposite page I have pasted a rubbing from the panel, or piece of wood itself, on which the puzzle is carved which Mr. Sewell procured from the Rev. N. S. Bagshaw, and which he gave to me. Mr. Bagshaw is the present Vicar of Great Gedding; and he explains that the letters E and R, one on each side of the subject, stand for Edward Rigbie, who was Incumbent there in 1614.

Sun. 10. Easter Sunday. Three services at the parish church. Fine day, hot sun, and a searing NE wind, the thermometer only marking 47’ in the shade.

Tu. Ap. 12. Finished the fourth tracing from my sketches of the tombs, &c., in Ioka, for the Rev. W. Foxley Norris.

Sun. 17. Cold north-easter in the morning. At the parish church P.M.

M. 18. Men began to rebuild part of my premises at the back of the Old Chancel. Felled a large sycamore tree, which was in the way, and threw it very well, and pulled down part of the enclosure.

A party of the Ordnance surveyors, one in uniform, came into my premises, and told me they were engaged on the new survey of the county. I told them I was glad to see them, and that they could go where they liked.

Forgot to record last Friday, that I sent off to Mr. E. Maunde Thompson, Keeper of the MSS. In the British Museum, the box containing the Diaries, Letters, and other papers, from which I compiled my recent two Vols.

W. 20. The Stanfords, two ladies, and Mr. Morrish had tea with me.

Th. 21. Called on the Acramans and returned a book; - on the Edes, (at home.)

Mr. W. Floyd, (out) - Mrs. Fawcett, (out0 - Mr. Lubbock, (out) - and lastly on the Rev. Mr. Jenkinson, who was at home.

Sun. 24. At the parish church in the morning.

M.25. Early dinner at the Elms.

W. 27. Called on the Rev. Mr. Pigot James. He returned from India 4 or 5 years ago - was in good health, and married quite a young lady - has become partly paralysed - walks with difficulty - his hands and limbs all of a shake. He looks 70. - He and wife removed to Exmouth. He died at the beginning of 1891.

Dr. Baker drove over from Ottery, and surprised me with a visit.

Mr. & Mrs. G. Buttemer of the Elms, had tea with me.

Sat. Ap. 30. and last. Sad rumour about Sidmouth during the last few weeks, in everybody’s mouth, all over the town, and now being anything but a secret, but rather common property, may be mentioned. It runs to the effect that the young wife of Captain Bartelott, son of Sir W. Bartelott Bart., M.P., leaving her husband and three young children, has eloped with a gentleman of the name of Feather-Stonehaugh. (?) She was Miss Balfour, and sister to our youthful Lord of the Manor, John Edward Heugh Balfour, who is now 24, and at 25 he will be free of the Trustees, and will come into full possession of the property. I should think that she cannot be more than 27 or 28. According to the abstract of the Balfour Will, which I have at Dec. 6, 1873, it seams that she has the interest of £60,000. When they have been residing here, which they have occasionally, he did not succeed in ingratiating himself with the gentry, nor rendering himself popular with the trades of the town. If he had he would have got more sympathy from them just now. I have been told he has for some time treated her in a very unkind manner, and that some kind of separation was talked of last year, but I cannot vouch for the truth. Scott says-

I know not how the truth may be,

I tell the tale as told to me.

May 1887.

Sun. May 1. Very unlike May Day. Moderately fine, but a cold north-east wind blowing. Thermometer from 50 to 52 during the day in the shade, which is something like a winter temperature. I cannot remember a spring where there has been such a long continuance of dry NE wind. Except a few occasional storms it has been unusually dry since January. I am told that February was the driest since 1821. Like an America spring, we shall jump from winter to summer at once.

M. May 2. The sketch represents a “clome” or red ware water pitched, found some years ago at the bottom of an old well in the village of Salcombe Regis, by a mason of Sidmouth called Watley. I examined and measured this curious vessel of antique form. It is 6 3/8th. Inches high without the handle; the bottom 4 in diameter; and the circumference of the swell 18. Perhaps dropped by some child. As it fell into the water it did not break, or sustain any kind of injury.

I was told a local saying, as being applicable to this day, Monday the 2nd. of May

It says - “When May Day’s on a Sunday,

Snow will fall on Monday.”

And as May Day fell this year on a Sunday, we very nearly had snow to-day and probably it was really snow in other parts of England. There was an extremely cold rain, with the thermometer at 47.

Mr. Hastings and his newly married wife called, muffled up like winter.

Tu. May 3. Mr. Elton Ede called; told me the pretty white marble statue of Eve, [May 15, 1883,] was being packed to go to the Dudley Exhibition.

Mr. E. Chick had tea with me.

Fri. 6. [?] Lunched at one o’clock at 7 Fortfield Terrace with Mrs. Floyer, (ne’e Shore, cousin of Lord Teignmouth) her two daughters, and the Rev. Mr. Butcher, late Dean of Shanghai, whom I knew as a boy.

Sun. 8. At the parish church. The Dean preached.

Th. 12. Called on Mr. Walter Thornton, at Hillside.

Sat. 14. Called on Mr. Knapp, at Sid house, beyond the river, who has had a long illness. Left my enquiries.

Sun. 15. At the pish ch.

M. 16. Main drain made in the lane for the Old Chancel.

Tu. 17. When I was in London last summer, [Aug. 19.] I saw a boy with a hinge in his back, walk some 20 or 30 steps on his hands, with his legs curled over his head. When he gets a touch of rheumatism in the small of his back, commonly called a “crick,” he will assume a different attitude.

Fri. May 20. A strong north-west wind - very cold, and with two or three hail storms. It felt like winter all day. There is wisdom in the saying -

“Cast not a clout

Till May is out.”

Sat. 21. Nearly as cold, but the wind not so strong. All the spring the air has been unusually sharp, and vegetation is backward, though healthy.

Sun. 22. At the parish church. The Vicar preached. The cold wind continues.

Tu. 24. The Queen’s Birthday. When she was seven months old she was brought to Sidmouth by her parents, but after the death of her father at the Glen, so called, or Woolbrook Glen, on the 23rd. of January 1820, and after a limited sojourn of only a few weeks, her mother took her away. The only demonstration of loyalty here, was the ringing of the church bells. The ringers performed that feat of firing - or firing volleys - or firing a Royal Salute - and they did it fairly well. It consists in making all the bells, ( of which we have now eight), strike together, instead of striking in succession, and it has a rather singular effect.

Th. 26. Called upon Mr. and Mrs. William Floyd, who returned yesterday from their wedding trip.

Had the Oak Room in the Old Chancel turned out, dusted, and cleaned for the summer. The Turkey carpet was taken out on the gravel - I put up a rope between two trees, and it was hoisted up and beaten. The panelled ceiling of the Oak Room I preferred doing myself, which I did with a feather brush. And I dusted my pictures and books, and some of my china. Did you ever let the women “put your room to rights,” (as they call it,) in your absence?

S. 28. Skimmed through Nixon’s Prognostications, uttered in the time of our Henry the Seventh. Striking as some of them may be, they are exceeded by those of Nostradamus. Several papers on the latter appeared last year in the monthly periodical called “Walford’s Antiquarian”.

Left off fires entirely to-day. For a month or more I have not had them during the day, but they were desirable during the evening, as the air has been extremely cold. The unusual dry weather still continues. Very little rain since January. The driest February in Sidmouth since 1821 it is said.

Sun. May 29. No unusual observance of the day. It is Whitsunday,

Tu. 31. Paid off Mrs. Hallet.

June 1887.

W. June 1. Very chilly.

S. Called on the Rev. Pigot James, who has taken the Elms for a year. Lent him the Life of Bowes, as he knew something of his neighbourhood in Yorkshire. Bowes was a most unprincipled man.

Su. 5. Trinity Sunday. Remained to the Sacrament. The Athanasian Creed was read. Some object to it. Though dogmatically in language, I believe it is thoroughly orthodox.

M. 6. The young Edes, having well nigh settled their late father’s affairs, called to take leave.

Tu. 7. Miss. Venn, of Peyhembury, and two nieces, surprised me with a visit, and remained to an afternoon tea.

W. 8. At last my little bookcase is finished, the three doors having been glazed to-day. Taken at odd times, it has been a year in hand. I have made it to give it, along with some books, to the Museum Library, Exeter.

Fri. 10. This afternoon a stranger - the Rev. Robert B. Watson, F.C. [Free Church?] Manse, Cardross, not many miles from Glasgow - called, in order to have some conversation on the subject of local geology. As a child, he was at Sidmouth with his parents from 1826 to 1830. My parents came in 1825. He is here for a short time with his family.

S. June 11. Dr. Baker from Ottery, surprised me with a visit. Clear sky - burning sun - suddenly become as hot as midsummer. Mr. Chick’s flower mill for grinding corn, at Furze Hill, near Sidbury, burnt.

Sun. 12. At the parish church - the Vicar preached.

M. 13. Went into Exeter by the 9.35 train. Hunted for lodgings, thinking of going in for a short time after the Jubilee. Called on Dr. Lewis Shapter, having had a disagreeable singing and hissing sound in my head for the last year. Called on Mr. & Mrs. George Buttemer at 10 Bystock Terrace, - called at the Devon and Cornwall Bank, - was half an hour in the Cathedral - returned by the 5.20 train - home by 6.45.

W. 15. The clear sky and the burning sun full upon us. After six in the evening made a fire in the field of the dry trimmings of my shrubs, cut in the spring. I collected some that had been thrown close to the north or field side of the Chancel, and in doing this I made use of a pitchfork. Having removed them in one place down nearly to the ground, I scraped away some weeds and dead grass cut from the lawn, and I specially scraped at a small mound; and when I had scraped off the top of it, to my surprise I uncovered the nest of a hedgehog. There lay the hedgehog, curled in a ball, with her face visible, but ready to hide it if I had not stopped, and either two or three young ones, about the size of good large nice. The quills on the backs of the young ones were nearly white, but brown on the mother. I was afraid to look too closely, but I drew my finger down the side of the mother. She did not try to escape or to move, but lay quiet with her young, and I suppose cringing with fear. The nest was about the size of the inside of a man’s hat. I carefully covered it up again by replacing the grass, weeds, and left it quiet.

Th. 16. Changed my bedroom for the summer. Called on the Miss Vincents, now staying in Sidmouth.

Fri. 17. When I went to bed at midnight the thermometer was 74, and when I got up at 8 this morning it was 72, in my bedroom, with the doors half open all night.

The papers say that two Lion’s in a menagerie at Plymouth have died of the heat. It is strange that animals from hot countries, should die of heat in England. Perhaps they were not well looked after, and not air enough.

The sun now rises at 3.44, and darkness is short.

Another sight of the hedgehog! To-day I had the curiosity to carefully uncover the nest, and to my surprise found it empty, and the young ones removed. I presume I had alarmed the mother last Wednesday, and perhaps hurt her with the pick. In the dark of the evening I happened to take a look at the spot from a lower window that commands it, and is close over the place where the trimmings of the shrubs lie. After looking a short time, I fancied I saw a movement among the bushes and dead weeds, and waiting for a few minutes, I saw it again; then it became more obvious; then stopped; then went on again; then the movement advanced, as if something were burrowing underneath; then the head of the hedgehog made its appearance; and then the little animal emerged entirely. It was evidently looking about for a place to make a new nest. Where its young were temporarily deposited I know not; but the weather is dry, and hot, and beautiful, and shelter just now is a small matter. After a turn or two to examine the locality, it was not satisfied, for it began to walk away upon the cleared ground. Almost in its line of march there stood a young thrush - too young to have learnt fear - and they stood looking at one another for a few seconds, much to my amusement, and then the hedgehog went on, and vanished among the undergrowth of a thorn hedge.

Sat. 18. Miss Gibbons of Budleigh Salterton, who, for the last three seasons has been making tours on Dartmoor and other places, in a small carriage drawn by two donkeys, has just made another; and having visited Sidmouth and the neighbourhood, has requested me to look over the proofs referring to this place and the district. Received the first slip to-day, and when done I sent it back.

M. 20. To-day all Sidmouth is very busy decorating the town with flags, arches of laurels, &c., across the streets for the Jubilee to-morrow.

Tu. June 21. The Queen succeeded to the throne on the 20th. of June 1837, but as the 20th. this year fell on a Monday, it was found that Sunday militated against making the necessary preparations, especially in London, for the due celebration of the Jubilee, which was to be on a imposing scale. It was therefore held on the 21st. The London papers are full of the particulars. I shall only jot down a few particulars relating to Sidmouth.

We were awoke in the morning by the bells ringing and the guns of some sort or other firing, and making a great noise. I hoisted a red ensign on the Chancel, and many people extemporised flags and streamers of various descriptions, to display their loyalty, and set off their buildings. In the forenoon there was a short service at the parish church, to which I went. Then there was a cold collation in the ball-room at the London Hotel, to which I went instead of my early dinner at home. After this all parties repaired to the Fort Field, and places adjacent, to organise a long procession, which was made up of the Band and Volunteers, Committee of Management, gentry, Life Boat men, Coastguard, Sunday Friendly Societies, schools, both girls and boys, and lastly a number of omnibuses and other carriages full of children too young to walk. The roads were dusty and the sun burning hot. They proceeded up the Station road to Audley, then down Mill Lane, or All Saints Road to Mill Cross, where the Unitarian Chapel is, then to Radway, then down Salcombe Road, over the stone bridge and round “the Island,” as they call it, (where Brooklet Villas are), and so, double back to Radway again, and entering the town, I there joined them and fell in, and accompanied them down to the beach, and proceeding to the west end, stopped within sight of the Glen, where the Queen had lived, when the Band played the National Anthem, the people gave three cheers, when we doubled back to the Bedford Hotel, and turning inland, went to the higher end of the Fort Field, along in front of Fort Field Terrace, and then into the field. All round the field a sort of course had been marked off with posts and ropes, in which running and bicycle races took place. The Band played on a platform in the centre..

There was a rather amusing game called “The Obstacle Race,” the boys contending in it having to cross open netting hanging loosely from poles, and then they ran to several empty barrels, with the heads and tails out, suspended by ropes about two feet from the ground. These they had to creep through, which was no easy matter - and then to the goal.

In the evening the fireworks amused us from 10 till past 11, and were very good.

A novel feature in the display was the Bonfires on the hills. It had been arranged that Lord Clinton, the Lord Lieutenant of the County, should send up a rocket and light the first fire on one of the hills on his property in NW Devon, and this was to be the signal for the lighting of others. I was on the Esplanade, near Fort Cottage, looking at the fireworks, and at a very short interval after ten I saw one after another make their appearance on the headlands up and down the coast, and then they blazed out upon Salcombe Hill, immediately on the east, and on Peak Hill, a mile west, and on Core Hill, a mile and a half inland, and in Sidmouth parish. The fire on the point of Salcombe Hill, close to the edge of the cliff was very large one, and so bright, that though it was a mile off, it shed so much light on the Esplanade as to make our shadows clearly visible. There was a fine one apparently above Budleigh Salterton, on what I took to be West Down, and several away towards Torbay, and distant specks of light like stars, about Start Point. Eastward, there was a glowing one on Beer Head, seven miles off, others further away, near Lyme, Abbotsbury, and further away to Portland. Some sailors who had been out fishing, reported, when they came ashore, that they counted 22, all within sight. From the tops of our hills however, many more than that were within sight.

There are about 3400 people in the parish of Sidmouth. It had been given out that one pound of beef, without the bone, one pound of bread, and three pence in money, would be given to any person residing in the parish, without distinction, above the age of 14, and half that quantity to those under, and a new penny; and that, although, it was intended for the poor, still it was impossible to draw the line, and any body could apply, at their discretion. As 2290 portions were applied for, it may be inferred that many applied who could afford to buy, for 2290 amounts to two thirds the population of the parish. About £220 have been given, and I have been anxious that half of it should be put aside for the production of some permanent memorial in bronze or stone, but they have been intent on eating and drinking it all. We shall hear more of statistics when particulars are made known.

Fri. June 24. I went into Exeter to look for lodgings. As the weather continues dry and fine the citizens have not yet removed any of their decorations. The multitude of flags, banners, and hangings still waving in the breeze, made it impossible to look down Fore Street. Had early tea with the Buttemers as I had on the 13th. Left at 5.20, and was home about 6.30.

S. 25. Received intelligence that the Trustees of the British Museum, who had a meeting on the 10th., had decided to give me £100 for the old Diaries and Letters from which I compiled my recent two volumes.

M. 27. Continued firing heard all the afternoon. We thought it was the Battery at Exmouth. In the afternoon a Gunboat came and anchored off Sidmouth. She had been exercising her men in the offing. She sent her men on shore till 9 P.M.

Tu. 28. Coronation Day. Received £100 from the British Museum. Went in a carriage into Exeter for a week or two, taking my servant Ann Newton and boxes with me. Had our dinner on the road - meat sandwiches, ale, spirit and water, plum cake, and ripe strawberries! Did you ever! Lodged at 8 Peamore Terrace, St. Davids. My landlady - Miss Ball.

Wed. June 29. Called on Mr. & Mrs. George Buttemer at 10 Bystock Terrace.

July 1887.

Fri. July 1. Tea with the Buttemers, and a stroll in the cool of the evening.

S. 2. Extremely hot. The wind feeling as if it came from a furnace. The papers say that in the Procession in which the Queen went on the Jubilee Day to Westminster Abbey, 16 Kings, Queens, and next heirs to the various thrones of Europe were present.

The Women’s Offering to the Queen has reached £80,000. Devonshire contributed £2228. The rule was - “Not less than a penny, or more than a pound.”

Sun. 3. At the morning service at the Cathedral. Everything beautifully done. The singing so rich and melodious; the prayers well rendered by well educated men, and in a building but recently put in the highest order. The Bishop, (Bickersteth, whom I had not seen before,) was there, and took part at the Communion service.

In the evening at St. Michael’s. This is a beautiful building, but the large tower, and high spire, overpower and overbalance the size of the church. The interior is highly decorated towards the east end, and the colouring very harmonious. Mr. Toye, the Rector of St. Davids did the service.

M. 4. Went to Heavitree and called on the Chick’s, at Regents Park. Saw the Colonel, Mrs. And Arthur. Went and returned by tram-road.

Tu. 5. Tea with Mrs. Jenkins, overlooking the river.

W. 6. Air cooler - cloudy - a slight shower. The first rain since -

Th. 7. Tea at Col., and Mrs. Chick’s, and Arthur.

Fri. 8. Dinner at 6.30 with Mr. Gray, 2 sons and daughter. He took me out to his residence at Heavitree, and his younger son Henry, in his carriage. After dinner, being a beautiful evening, we went round his garden to see his collection of well developed varieties of English ferns.

Sun. 10. Went to the morning service at the Cathedral to hear Canon Lee preach. Some 40 or 50 summers ago he was curate at Sidmouth. His father one of the Magistrates then lived there. He was then a slim, upright, active, and good-looking young man, withy a clear and powerful voice. I saw him and heard him to-day. I am inclined to think that 50 winters will make a difference in some men, whatever 50 summers may do.

Mon. July 11. Went to St. Sidwell’s churchyard - saw the Sexton - he shewed me the slab with the long inscription on it to the memory of Mrs. Susanna Sabatier, the wife of a member of a French refugee family, whom the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes drove out of France. She had been Susanna Hutchinson, daughter of Foster Hutchinson, the younger brother of my great-grandfather Thomas. At the American Revolution Foster went to Halifax, Nova Scotia. The Sabatiers came to England. She died in 1834, aged 94. The place of the slab was altered when the church was enlarged some years ago. It is now outside the south wall of the chancel.

Canon Lee gave me leave to make sketches of anything I liked in the Cathedral.

M. 13. Sketched the coats of arms round the base of the Courtenay tomb. The more I consider them, the more I feel sure that they are far from correct.

Th. 14. Rode to Heavitree - walked on down the hill, and called at the “Wonford House”. Here my grandfather Thomas H., eldest son of the Governor, settled down with his wife, after they had withdraw with other Loyalists from America, where he had been Judge of the Court of Probate. They lived here from 1789, until his wife’s death in 1808, and his own in 1811, and were buried in Heavitree old church. My father, (& I suppose his brothers), used to come in to Exeter Grammar school. There is a long garden that runs up the hill along the road towards Heavitree, and inside that two orchards. Mr. Aplin, who had been a Tanner, bought the place of the Mannings, of Exeter and Sidmouth. He gave me some excellent cider, made from the orchards, - sweet as honey, with the pleasant acid of lemonade. My grandfather rented the place of a Mr. Cotsford, a £200,000 M.P., now utterly forgotten. Mr. Worth, of Moll’s Coffee House, Cathedral yard, has a full size, half length, oil painting of him - a profile, looking to the Heraldic dexter, reading a book in the right hand.

Returning, I called on Col. and Mrs. Church, 5 Regents Park, Heavitree.

Fri. 15. Mrs. Robins, and her daughter Ada from Honiton: also Mrs. Hallet from Ottery. Hard thunder shower, which refreshed the air.

S. 16. Dry and hot again. Mr. & Mrs. G. Buttemer and myself went out had a good look at the Museum in Queen Street. Called on Canon Lee, and shewed him my sketches I had made in the Cathedral. In the afternoon the Buttemers and myself went to have a look at the Lawn of Mrs. Gard’s residence at the top of Castle Street, on the left. It must be 20 years since I was there. It is only necessary to ring at the outer gate, ask the Butler to allow you to look at the grounds. It is customary for people to leave their names. I gave him my card. Some people put a shilling on the card, to prevent the wind blowing it away. I did so, as it was rather windy. We sauntered about for an hour.

Sun. 17. At the Cathedral.

M. 18. Called on Mr. R. Dymond, 1 St. Leonard’s Road.

Tu. July 19. Returned to Sidmouth. Drove all the way, passing through Heavitree, St. Mary’s Clist, over Aylesbear Hill, through Newton Poppleford, to Bulrsrton, and Sidmouth.

The heat in some parts of England has been very great, but the accounts from America say it has been 102 in the shade at Washington, with 12 deaths from sunstroke; Pittsburg 95, and 23 deaths from the same cause. It has been hotter in England.

M. July 25. Started for Plympton, to attend the Meeting of the Devonshire Association. Went into Exeter by rail; then took the South Devon line via Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton, Totnes, &, to Plympton. Lodged nearly opposite the Guildhall. Called on Mr. Brooking-Rowe. He took me up and shewed me the remains of the Castle, and he invited me to breakfast next morning.

Tu. 26. Went, and was introduced to Mrs. Brooking-Rowe. Called on Dr. Ellery. Mrs. Arnold of Core Hill in Sidmouth parish, now resides at Plympton. Her late husband died from pricking his thumb with a brass pin. He had a pimple or whitlow in his thumb, which he told me he pricked with a brass pin. I met him one day with his arm in a sling. I asked him what was the matter? He said the inflamation in his thumb had affected his arm. A few weeks after this I called on him, and to my surprise found him reclining on the sofa. He explained that it had advanced so much as to have gone over the left side of his body, and down his left leg, so that he could scarcely walk. His medical attendants were now of the opinion that it was a serious case. He had bought 26 acres, with a house, on the flank of Core Hill, at the north end of Sidmouth parish, which he amused himself in cultivating, and which he had purchased from the heirs of (Cockburn,) The late Dean of York; but this he now sold to Mr. Hine-Haycock, of Belmont in Sidmouth parish, and removed with his wife and daughters to Exeter, where he died.

It was a case of “blood poisoning,” so called.

W. July 27. While I was dressing, at my lodging, a message came from Mr. Brooking-Rowe to say I must go to his house to breakfast. On going there, I found Sir John Phear, [Nov. 30. 1885, & Jan. 4. 1886.] who is staying at the house, and Mr. Elworthy, famous for his studies in west of England dialects.

After breakfast we went to the Town Hall to hear the reading of the papers.

The Earl of Morley had invited the Members to come out and look at Saltram house and park. Three or four score went. It was only a mile. I drove out in a carriage with Mrs. & Miss Arnold, and another young lady. We wandered through many of the rooms, where there is a large collection of paintings, 10 or 12 of them by Sir Joshua Reynolds. Tea, coffee, cake, &c., were laid out in one of the rooms. We then looked at the grounds and park, the Earl mingling with the company.

After returning, I had tea at Dr. Ellery’s.

Th. 28. Reading papers at the Grammar school. Excursion to Kitley, by invitation from Mr. Bastard. Some of the Turkey carpets were rolled up, and the oak floors and some of the passages were so slippery from having been highly polished, that it required careful walking to avoid slipping and falling. We examined the paintings, amongst which a large Hogarth. We then drove on, almost through miles of woods, very beautiful, to a most romantic and picturesque place, the site I believe of an old limestone quarry. A little before arriving here Mr. W.H.K. Wright, Editor of the “Western Antiquary,” sitting on the dickey of a higher carriage than the rest, got much squeezed and hurt in the back, by passing under the limb of a tree, which stretched across the drive lower than the rest. A carriage was procured, and he was conveyed to his home in Plymouth. In the face of the limestone rocks is a Cavern, which was lighted by candles at intervals. Groups of us went in, but before we had gone far, the cold air was so searching, that we all hurried out. Other parties went in, but soon came out again. I went a short distance in 2 or 3 times, but was glad to return. The atmosphere felt quite warm on coming out. The temperature in Kent’s Cavern is about 51 ½. All year through. Perhaps it was 70’ in the open air to-day. Then we were invited to go further into what was once a quarry, and on proceeding over fine green sward, round a high rock, behold a long table covered with ices, and all sorts of good things, of which the visitors partook. After dallying over this, we again mounted our carriages, and advancing onward, and making a circuit, we attained the public roads and got back. There was a conversazione in the evening, but I did not go.

Fri. 29. There was a long excursion organised for to-day, but I made my excursion by returning home. I came by taking the route along the south coast, and I returned by Lidford, Okehampton, and Crediton, thus making the circuit of Dartmoor. When at Sidmouth Junction, near Ottery, I was surprised to see flags of all kinds and colours fluttering in the breeze. The Rife Volunteers were assembling, and pitching their tents in a neighbouring field for a weeks drill. Met Sir John Kennaway in uniform on the platform. He is Major in command. Got to Sidmouth by 6.30. Heard the bells tolling for a death. Was told that Col. Hawker had died rather suddenly.

S.30. Terrible accident to-day, ending in death. Mrs. Grose, an old lady, partly paralysed, living with her sister Miss Skinner, at Sid Abbey, a mile off in the parish of Salcombe Regis, was taking an airing this afternoon in a 3-wheel chair, drawn by a donkey. Her sister was with her. They were passing through Mill Lane, now called All Saints Road, and were between Rose Lawn and Oakland, and near the Elms, the Parsonage, and All Saints Church. The gardener at Rose Lawn was engaged with a beehive taking some honey. One would suppose that in the heat and bright sunshine was most ill chosen time to meddle with bees, when they are lively and active. The usual time is in the cool of the evening, before dusk, when they are quiet. The bees were much enraged by being disturbed, and as the donkey was passing, many of them settled on his head and stung it. The donkey became restive - further accessions from the swarm arrived, and attacked, not only the donkey, but the old lady and Miss Skinner. Mr. Reed,, the gentleman now occupying Rose Lawn, came out to render assistance. The bees so maddened the donkey that he ran round and round, and tried to lie down in order to rub them off. In doing this he upset the carriage, threw Mrs. Grose out on the road, dragged the carriage over her, and trampled upon her, breaking her bones. A letter carrier came by, and he and Miss Skinner tried to hold the donkey, and extricate the unfortunate lady. Then a man with a pipe in his mouth came down the road, and they appealed to him for help, but he kept aloof and went on, for which he was severely reprimanded at the subsequent inquest. At last they got Mrs. Grose clear of the encumbrances - carried her into Rose Lawn - and sent for Dr. Pullin. She had been so much injured that she was carried back to Sid Abbey on a stretcher.

Sun. 31. At the parish church.

August 1887.

Mon. August 1. Mrs. Grose died this morning. People say she had one leg broken, (some say both), one arm, a collar bone, and some ribs. At the inquest the verdict was “Accidental death.

Tu. 2. News that two men have been drowned by the upsetting of a boat - one called Williams, at Budleigh Salterton

Also, a boy drowned yesterday at Seaton, whilst bathing with his brother.

Dined with Mr. & Mrs. W.M. Floyd. Miss Lousada there.

W. 3. This evening an eclipse of the moon. I first saw it at eight o’clock, rising above the houses. It was still daylight, but getting dusk. The night was quiet, and it was without a cloud. The obscuration began at 7.36 P.M.; greatest at 8.49; and ended at 10.2 . The penumbra was very fluffy at the edge.

Th. Aug 4. Miss ball(my landlady in Exeter), and her friend Miss Hanson, came to see Sidmouth. Dined and tea’d at the Old Chancel.

M. 8. The bright sun and dryness continue. The fields are all parched and burnt brown, and the farmers are obliged to bring the cattle food, as they do in winter.

Sat. 13. Heavy clouds from the SW this afternoon, and a shower of rain. Quite a novelty. It only penetrated the dry ground one inch.

Finished another article for the Western Antiquary on the Arms of this county, but it is this time rather an enquiry into Arms and descent of the De Redvers and Countenay families, I have added a Tabular Pedigree to make things clearer. And I have sent three pen-and-ink sketches of the Redvers seals bearing the Griffin, for three woodcuts.

Sun. 14. Fine ad bright again, but the air is cooler. At the pish Ch.

M. 15. Went to London by the 12.10 train. After passing Honiton the line goes through the Tunnel. This is acknowledged to be the most noisy, screaming, and disagreeable tunnel train ever went through. Some echo, reverberation or acoustic property may be the reason. After going partly through, the rattle and the screeming increase, and run through ones head. Some of my friends have told me they have found it so unbearable that they have stopped their ears, and a gentleman with whom I was travelling to-day did so. I did not. People with weak nerves would probably feel it most. I think the tunnel inclines down hill in going eastwards, and so perhaps the pace is accelerated; for in returning we went slower, and the noise was not so great. Soon after passing Dinton we come to the chalk formation, and the sides of the cuttings shew that it continues on to Salisbury, and to a short distance east of Basingstoke. Caught sight of Old Sarum, and at the latter place saw the ruins of the Chapel of the Holy Ghost in the Cemetery. The trains full, and rather late. Six when I arrived. Took ticket, and crossed the Thames to the Charing Cross Hotel, and they assigned me bedroom No. 298.

Tu. 16. After breakfast in the handsome Coffee Room, which was very full, I read in the Reading Room for an hour. Then walked a mile to Fetter Lane to the new premises of my Publisher’s, close to the Record Office, and conferred with Mr. Marston, and then walked north to King’s Cross. Took the rail at 1.20, and went north to Hatfield. Saw the brick Jacobean turrets of the Marquis of Salisbury’s house over the trees. Got out, and entered another train going east to Hertford. Arrived there, I walked half a mile to me cousins Mrs. Oliver’s, who at 81 seems wonderfully well. Talked over family affairs of various sorts, and reversed the journey in coming back to London.

Wed, Aug. 17. Drizzly morning. Went to the National Gallery, and pondered over the paintings for three hours. As it cleared up, I decided on going 4 miles out to Clapham Common to see Mr. Scrivens. Took the underground rail at Charing Cross, and got out at Victoria Road. Then, at the Victoria great Station, took a ticket to get over the river, and I got out at Wandsworth Road. Walked about three quarters of a mile to near the middle of the north side, but learnt that he was out of town. The servant told me he would be home in the evening, but was going to leave the next morning for a short time. They hoped to come to Sidmouth early in September. I proceeded therefore to return to my hotel at Charing X. Walked down the Cedars Road - caught the Tram Car at the bottom - went for one penny along the Wandsworth Road to near Vauxhall Bridge - walk over the bridge - the tide was falling - stood and watcged several barges and steamers pass under my feet,- went on through streets, and passed that curious pentagon the prison house - then the houses of Parliament and the Abbey - glanced at the bronze statie of Lord Palmerston, and of sundry others of our great statesmen on their pedestals (Aside - who can admire a bronze statue? it is nothing better than an ugly black mass; it reflects on light, and its details are indistinct) - then turned out to the river - and so to my hotel along the embankment.

As I arrived, some large drops of rain fell. For the last hour the heavy black clouds had looked very threatening. I went into the Reading Room - there were a dozen ladies and gentlemen there, who were staying in the house - then a flash of lightening, which was just the same pale white light as the electric lamps which were being lighted outside - and no wonder, as they were the same thing. And then the gas looked so red! Both in the room and in the lamps in the street. Another flash, and another. They increased in frequency, and they increased in power, and the noise was “heavens artillery thundering in the skies.” And the rain came down in torrents. I went to the front window looking towards the Strand. The bright streaks of golden wire were darting down from the black clouds, and I felt that they must strike something. From 7 to 8 the flashes succeeded one another with but small interval, and at this time near, as the reports, like the discharge of heavey artillery, followed close upon the flashes. After 8 it began to slacken, and by 9 o’clock there was peace and quiet. We heard afterwards that several buildings had been struck - that a large sewer, not able to sustain the pressure of water, had burst - and that part of the underground railway had been inundated, and the trains stopped.

Th. Aug. 18. The morning was moderately fine, but after the high temperature we have so long had, it felt cold; for 60’ feels very cold after basking in 80’.

I had now no particular business to keep me in London; I had conferred with my Publishers, and seen my cousin; the fine weather seemed to have broken up; and to delay in London for sight seeing, though much may be learnt thereby, I would not - for money is to valuable.

I therefore paid my bill, got across the river by rail to the Waterloo Station, took my ticket for Sidmouth, and without adventure, got home about half past six.

Fri. 19. Something sure to go wrong when I turn my back. On Wednesday the 10th. Messes Arnold and Rivoni, from London, coming down Trow Hill on a tricycle, got turned over, and Arnold had his collar bone broken. And last Friday some of the Thornton family, driving down Temple Street, a wheel of the carriage came off, and they were much bruised by being thrown into the road. If I had been here perhaps this would not have happened.

Speaking of Thornton’s, at November 3. 1873, I have a short abstract of the Will of the grandfather of these young folks, and as I happen to have some of the particulars of that of their father, who died at Sidmouth May 28. 1876, I may as well put them here, as a scrap of news connected with this place.

The Will of R.N. Thornton, of Knowle, Sidmouth.

[See back Nov. 3. 1873 for Will of his father.]

“He directs mourning to be provided for all persons in my service, to each of whom I give a year’s wages.” [This clause led to a lawsuit. The children thought that the indoor servants only were intended, and they excluded the outdoor servants, as gardeners, grooms, labourers, &c., from the benefit of the bequest. It is a pity it was carried into court; “all persons in my service” is very comprehensive. The servants got the verdict.]

To his wife Ellen Annie, [mother of his fifth, and youngest boy Cyril,] he gives the lease of 14 Portland Crescent, London, for her life or re-marrage, and £4000, and £1000 in addition, and one carriage, pair of horses, and harness.

Knowle, Sidmouth, [about 40 acres] freehold, to his eldest son Richard, [May 27. 1877] with the furniture, &c.

To his second son Albert James, he gives the lease of 98 Portland Place, with furniture, &, [April 3. 1877.]

To his daughter Margaret Ellen, her late mother’s dressing case, and the contents.

He appoints his brither-in-law Alfred Pulford, and his wife to be the guardians of his daughter and their sons until their full age.

He directs his trustees and Executors to lay out £40,000 upon trust, to pay the dividends and income to his daughter’s separate use, and to her children; but she may settle one third of it by Will on her husband, if he survives her. Failing her children, to go to her brothers. [She is married to Mr. Lubbock, and his two children,]

Mr. Lubbock died about 1890.

To his nephews and nieces £100 each.

To Richard GardenerJones, (Executor) £1000.

To James Munday, his Butler, £50 per annum. [He retired, married a young (second) wife, and Mr. Thornton gave them the lower Lodge to live in.]

To William Turnbull Elliott, his Solicitor, £1000; or if dead, it is to go to his wife.

To his son Cyril £5000, and the watch of Testator’s father; and he is to have his mother’s settlements eventually.

To Miss Wilson. His daughter’s Governess, £500.

To Mrs. Frost, the Housekeerer £200.

To William Stickland, the Butler, £200. [Munday’s successor.]

To George Eveleigh, head Gardener, £200.

To his God-daughter, Janet Maude Pulford, £1000. [Mrs. Pulford was Mr. Thornton’s sister. Mr. Pulford a west-end tailor, who realised a large fortune, and retired to Torquay.

To his God-daughter, Maria Elgood, £200.

To the Orphan Asylum, Watford, £5000.

To his wife, during her life, or until her re-marriage, a long list of rare and costly jewellery, worth many thousend pounds, which jewellery, after his said wife’s death, is to go to his daughter. [now Mrs. Lubbock.]

The residue of his property he leaves three sons Richard Thornton, Albert James, and Walter; but £5000 than the third to Albert, and £1000 more to Walter, because Richard had the Knowle estate.

All the silver plate, except the said jewellery mentioned above, to be divided among the said three sons.

The Executers are Mr. A. Pulford, Mr. R.G. James, And his two sons Richard and Albert Thornton.

Personality sworn under £200,000.

Will dated April 1875. He died at the comparatively early age of about 42, that being on the April’ 28th. May 15 July 1876.

His father left him £400,000, but his personality was for half. He sunk something in buying one or two estates - it was understood that he was much fleeced at Knowle and as “lightly come, lightly go,” a great deal was spent freely and unwisely. His eldest son Richard married his first cousin Miss Pulford - went into the church - Sidmouth his first curacy - put Knowle up to Action more than once - at last, by private contract, sold it nominally to Mr. Heugh, one of the Manor Trustees, it was said for £21,000, and it is now a hotel under a Company.

Albert married the younger Miss Hawker [July 29] and lived mostly away, Walter married the younger Miss Salvin, and they live a Hillside, Sidmouth. He drives a very nice carriage. His friends hope he will not drive too fast. But he did.

Cyril I should think, is about 15 or 16 years old now. Cyril’s mother, after Mr. Thornton’s death, married again - went abroad - caught a fever, as reported in Sidmouth - and died within six weeks.

Going back to the first Mr. Thornton, he had a sister who married a Mr. West. Their son, Mr. Thornton West, married Miss Bowerman, daughter of a small country Attorney at Uffculme. I remember her and the rest of the children, when I used to go over to Uffculme in 1851, 1853, &c,. Within recent years she has been in the Old Chancel, and in the room where I am writing, but I did not tell her I remembered her. She is now in clover at Duryard, Exeter.

M. Aug. 22. John Lethbridge, Sen, aged 72, and wandering in mind sometimes, got out of his bedroom window, some 30 feet from the ground, at No. 2. Fortfield Place, behind Fortfield Terrace, and opposite Belgrave House, supposed at about 5 in the morning. At 7 he was found, nude and quite dead, lying in the path in front of the house, close to the public road.

W. 24. Called on Mr. Mrs. and Miss Player, at 3 Marine Place. They have been three years away on the Continent.

Mr. William Wallis, who is just now in Sidmouth, had tea with me. We used to play ball together in the Fort Field some sixty summers ago.

Th. 25. Called at the Vicarage. They gave me an interesting account of some discoveries in the remains of a Lake Dwelling on Col. Clement’s property in Ireland, and lent me a full account of them by Mr. W.F. Wakeman. The remains are those of a Crannog in a partly drained bog at Lisnacroghera, near Broughshan, Co. Antrim. The examination has revealed spears, swords, bronze scabbards, ornaments of various kinds, glass beads, &c., &c. The patterns and devices on the scabbards are strictly Celtic, or Keltic in type.

Mrs. and Miss Arnold, whom I left at Plympton, surprised me with a visit.

Fri. 26. Dense sea mist coming in, and some rain.

S. 27. The mist and the rain were “all for heat,” as they say. Very sultry to-day, and mist clearing off.

Called on Mrs. And Miss Arnold, at 10 Fortfield Terrace, for a short time; on Mr. Hine-Haycock at Belmont; on the Rev. Pigot James, the Elms; and on Mr. and Mrs. Wright, at Hillsdon House.

Sun. Aug. 28. Heard a good sermon from the Vicar this morning. Later in the day I took a look at the sea. There was a large barque “hull down,” in the offing, going up channel. This illustrates very clearly the roundness or sphericity of the globe on which we live. And if a person will look at the ocean of a calm day, and hold up a straight stick, so that the ends just touch the horizon, he will perceive that the water is heaped up in the middle by a curved line, though of course not in so pronounced a degree as I have made it in the diagram. The best way however, is to look over a window sill, or the top bar of a railing, because they are fixed and steady. More than forty years ago my father had a groom called Wellington Smith, and my brother went out with Sir John Hindmarsh, (the first Governor), to found the colony of South Australia. Wellington Smith was told they had gone to the other side of the world. He thought the world was flat like a plate, and he enquired what they did when they came to the edge? He supposed they would fall off, and he may have concluded that they would fall for nine days, as Milton says Lucifer did

M. Aug. 29. 1887. Nine small houses burnt at Ottery in Pig Lane, or Yonder Street. Ottery is famous for fires. The fire was a week ago.

Lord Donerail has recently died of hydrophobia, from the bite of a tame fox seven months ago.Hydrophobia seems to be communicated by bits from the dog tribe and the cat tribe. The wolf and the fox I think belong to the dog tribe; the tiger, and some others, to the cat tribe. Did a tiger’s bite ever give it? Would the hyena’s give it? It would be interesting to have a list of such animals as are known to have communicated it.

Tu. 30. Showery from the SW. Quite a novelty. Called on Mrs. Fawcett - Mr. & Mrs. W. Floyd - Mr. Lubbock.

The Post Office removed from the Market Place, where it has been many years, to a much worse place, being the lower corner of Fore Street and East Street.

September 1887.

Th. September 1. Gale of wind from the SW, and violent rain. Mr. E. Chick had tea with me.

Fri. Sep. 2. Wind and rain continue. Quantities of living leaves blown off the trees.

Quite chilly. The summer weather over for the present.

Mr. Scrivens had tea with me.

Tu. 6. Accounts of the burning of Exeter new Theatre last night at the top of Longbrook Street. Supposed to have originated in the “flies” at the side of the stage. The old Theatre was burnt in 1885, and this has been built since. There were about 800 people in the building. The dead bodies taken out were removed to the yard and stables of the London Inn, close by. Before midnight there were 85 dead bodies laid out in the yard, and 20 injured persons sent to the hospital, of whom 3 or 4 soon died. It is said 108 are dead, but accounts are not made up. A man called Fish, from the York Hotel, Sidmouth, had gone in, and it was feared he might be there, but he proved to be safe. Several people went in by train this morning, to enquire for friends, but none were missing.

Th. 8. We hear from Exeter that the dead are being continually dug out of the ruins. At the Hospital 8 have died. My baker’s errand boy, who brings bread to my house, has gone in to attend the funeral of his sister, who was burnt there.

A Mrs. Miller, of 86 Portland Place, London, a stranger, called and enquired what the Old Chancel was. I invited her in, and gave her a history of it, and she was surprised I had done so much oak carrvung. Walked to Sid and called on Mr. Scrivens.

Sat. 10. The talk of the week in Exeter has been constantly on the fire, and the work arising out of it. Inquests have been held. The unrecognisable remains have been buried first. The recognised have been buried by their friends or the city in the upper or lower Cemetery. About 130 dead have been removed from the ruins but the work of excavation is still going on.

M. Sep. 12. Drove to Beer to see C.F. Williams. Last year I went Sep. 8. He has got some beautiful watercolours, which he has done since he came last year. We took a turn to the look-out-station, and the beach. The wind was off the land, and the sea smooth. The effect of the gale of wing from the SW of Sep. 1, is visible every where on the foliage of the trees. The salt air from the sea has killed the leaves on the sea side. They are brown and withered up. I have often seen this effect before, under similar circumstances. Left Beer at six, and was home at 5 minutes after 7. Found that Mr. J.Y.A. Morshead of Salcombe had sent me a brace of partridges.

Th. 15. Mr. and Mrs. Maton called. She a grandaughter of the late Captain Carslake, of Cotmaton, in the parish of Sidmouth. There was a good deal of talk about genealogy and heraldry. It is astonishing how little people know of the two subjects, though most people wish to apply them to their own circumstances.

Fri. 16. Went to Ottery by rail to see two or three friends. It turned out rainy. However, I walked to the Station - about 3/4ths. of a mile from my abode - though it looked threatening - stopped at the Carfax at Broadway to look at the new Jubilee Fountain, just put up, and there drank Her Majesty’s health - and went on - took rail - and so to Ottery. Had an early tea with Dr. Baker, formerly of Dawlish, and then returned.

This morning died my neighbour the Rev. Olmius Morgan. De mortuis, &c.

Also Miss Emma Cave, sister of the late Sir Steven Cave, at Witheby, Sidmouth.

Tu. Sep. 20. Beautifully bright warm day. Took a 4-wheel and drove out to Sidbury. Called at Cotford and found Mrs. Bayley at home. Then called at Court Hall, opposite Sidbury Church, and saw Miss Hunt. Had a pleasant drive back.

Another fire in Ottery - 6 houses in Paternoster Row, or Street, which occurred yesterday, the former taking place on the 29th. of August.

W. Sep. 21. For two or three mornings whilst I am dressing, there have been a number of bullfinches pitching on the honeysuckle, the head of which is near my bedroom window, and eating the seed berries.

Miss Emma Cave was buried at one to-day, and the Rev. O. Morgan at three, in the Cemetery.

Th. 22. School feast at the Vicarage. Beautiful day. The children, as usual, had their tea on the lawn; then the Vicar said Grace; then the children sang the National Anthem, accompanied by a German Band, which had been retained to amuse the company; then they went to the upper field to have their games. Several gentry there - among them, one of the Ladies Hobart, and (Plumptree) Dean of Wells.

Fri. 23. Called on Miss Lousada, and Mr. Norris, Jun’r.

It seems that about 140 people have died by the fire at the Exeter Theatre. The coroner’s Court has been sitting almost daily, taking evidence. The Jury, by riders to their Verdict of “Accidental death,” strongly censure Mr. Phipps the architect, and also the Magistrates who licenced the building.

Sun. 25. At the parish church. In the afternoon took a walk on the beach westward.

M. 26. Called on Mr. & Mrs. Mitchel, of Chard, now in York Terrace.

W. 18. And on Mr. & Mrs. Matthew Hall, now at Beacon Place.

Th. 29. Michaclmas Day. Fine, but a cold north wind. This has been an exceedingly stormy and cold month, and we have felt it so much the more from the great and continued heat all through the summer, and from the suddennes of the change. Most people have had fires nearly all the month - at all events of an evening; but I did not know how to make up my mind to begin more than a month earlier than usual - besides, I like to do great things on great days, and in all September the Almanac recorded nothing - there was no Queen’s Birthday, no Duke of Wellington’s nor anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo - so I went on shivering until Michaelmas Day - and I have laid hold of that to begin.

October 1887.

Sun. Oct. 2. Cold dark weather. Church P.M. The Vicar only. Mr. Hine-Haycock brought the Dean of Wells (Plumptree) to see the Old Chancel. He is lodging at

7 Fortfield Terrace. Strangers cannot make out what the Old Chancel is.

M. 3. Called on the Dean - out; and on the Hind-Haycocks at Belmont, and paid a long visit.

Tu. 4. Took a walk up to look at the Cemetery where I had not been since April 5. The Wellingtonia grows and looks healthy. It is about 15 feet high. The tombstones are increasing amazingly fast. Then walk to Lime Park or Sidbrook, and down over the river to Sidbrook Cottages, to enquire for Mr. Scrivens, who is at Plymouth; and then back on the east side of the river.

W. 5. Carved oak all the morning, as usual, making the stand for my Bookcase. Called on Mr. Cowan at St. Kilda, up Salcombe Hill, and found him at home - on Mr. W.M. Floyd, 3 Brooklet Villas, and found Mrs. F. at home - and on Mr. De la Pole at No. 4, and paid a long visit.

Th. 6. Fire last night, soon after eleven, at the hamlet of Cotmaton.

Last year Mr. Walter Sellek, the Butcher, built some cottages at the corner on land he rented from the Manor. The most westerly was rented by a man named Cosins, the next by Barnard and wife, and the one at the corner by a Mr. or Captain Elliott. The fire occurred at the first named, which was burnt out, all but the outer walls. All insured; Barnard’s furniture not insured, and he lost nearly everything; the corner house not quite so badly burnt, and a few things were saved. The fire is said to have originated from some sticks put in front of the fire grate to dry, but which got ignited. Sellek is insured.

And we learn this morning that a young lady’s body, with life not quite extinct, was found on the beach at the foot of the cliff, about half a mile eastward, under Salcombe Hill. She called yesterday (Wednesday) at the York Hotel, and had some refreshment. She ordered a room for her father, and one for herself - left a book and something’s at the Hotel, and went out for a walk. She did not however, return, and her father did not come. The next morning a fisherman named Rugg found her badly. He went over and touched her hand to see if she was alive. She opened her eyes, moaned, and shut them again. She was brought back to Sidmouth in a boat, and Dr. Pullin had her taken to his house on a stretcher, where she still lies. The name on her linen was “Johnston or Johnson; and the book was found to be from the Library of Mr. Upward, of Exeter, who was telegraphed to, who informed her parents. She was lying face upwards, and probably the back of the skull fractured by coming on the pebbles of the beach. Rugg waved his hat to a man named Harris, who was insight in a boat, the water being smooth. Some men returning from fishing the evening before, just about dusk, saw something from the water lying on the beach, but took no notice of it. She must have lain there 14 or 15 hours. Rugg and Harris lifted her into the boat, when she screamed, and also when they took her out - and no wonder, for it was afterwards found that her left leg was badly broken above the ankle, and also her left hip bones of the pelvis. ether broken or displaced. In 1894 she married Dr. Pullin’s youngest son.

Sun. Oct. 9. At the parish church in the afternoon - the Vicar preached.

Miss Johnston has not come to consciousness, nor spoken. She has been in convulsions to-day, and her chances of living very slender. She is about 16 or 17. Her clothes I am told, were partly covered with red mud, and her legs and stockings torn with bushes and brambles. Her mother lodges near, and is constantly with her. Her father apparently, seems to have some business in Exeter, as he is backwards and forwards.

Tu. Oct. 11. Went to Mr. & Mrs. Player’s, now for a short time lodging at No. 3 Marine Place, to see the numerous watercolour drawings he has made in Switzerland, since they were here two or three years ago. He is a very good amateur artist. I scarcely know which are the most beautiful - the snowy scenes or the summery ones. Miss Harrison and another lady were there. Miss Player as pretty as heretofore.

W. 12. Paid off Rose Cross, (11 weeks), who was only with me temporarily, and Mrs. Hallet, who was my cook last winter, came back.

Extraordinarily server weather. Cold rain from SW., which ended in rain, sleet, and snow flakes from the NE from 4 to 5P.M. The tops of the hills had a sprinkle of white. I have known Sidmouth since January 1825, now 62 years, but I never remember snow in October before at this place.

Fri. 14. Attended a meeting of the Burial Board.

Sat. 15. Changed bedroom. Finished reading “The Black Squire”, in 3 vols, 16mo. A very well written fiction by a clergyman who was Curate of Sid’m 20 years ago - the Rev. W. Hildebrand, though he disguises himself on the Title-page by “Davus.” the work could only be written by a clergyman. It dwells on the struggles, limited incomes, different doctrinal views, abuses, reforms proposed, and many other points, and their workings, which only one behind the scenes could know and handle.

M. 17. Had an afternoon tea by invitation of the Dean of Wells, and Mrs. Plumptre. Had a long talk with him on literary matters. He shewed me the first vol, of his translation of Dante, a thick 8 vo of 500 pages or more, with his notes for the second, which he is now working at.

Mr. Stirling arrived this evening for a short visit, before he goes to Italy for the winter.

M. Oct. 24. And he left for London this morning.

My last article on the Arms of the county of Devon, this month in the Western Antiquary, rather deals with the Pedigrees of the De Redvers and Courtenay families, and the descent of the Griffin, as an Heraldic bearing. The Editor has sent me six copies of the article, which I can give away.

Th. 27. Rain and wind - very cold.

Fri. 28. Wind veered to south-west - mild. 59’. Walked to Sid through the Salcombe Fields, and called on Mr. Scrivens. Had some ripe pears and grapes and a glass of Tarragona with him, and the feast of a long chat.

S. 29. Returned the History of Wells Cathedral, by E. Freeman, lent me by the Dean a short time ago. It is very vigorously written, and very interesting. Then called on Mr. & Mrs. Hildebrand.

Sun. 30. At the parish church. The Dean read the 2nd. Lesson, and preached.

November 1887.

Tu. November 1. Violent gale of wind from the SW, with hard rain.

It increased in violence as the night wore on, and continued till this afternoon. Going through the Church Lane, near the Brewery, I could not pass without walking over the glass of two large skylights, two yards and a half square each, which had been lifted bodily out of the roof, I suppose by the wind getting inside and under them, and thrown head over heels into the lane. The frames were not much broken, but the whole of the glass, which was very thick, was all shaken out, and in 1000 fragments. On the beach much damage was done. As the tide rose, the waves, which had assumed gigantic proportions, dashed over the Esplanade, and ran down into the town. The south-east corner of the Fort Field, (as in my sketch of Dec. 4. 1876, vol. V.) was full of water; Westerntown flooded; also the low part by the Market place; and further east still worse, because the river, which was overflowing its banks, was kept back by the high sea, and was taking the town in rear. The lower rooms of the houses were deep in water; boats were used to enable people to come out; and sundry pigs in their sties, in danger of being drowned, were taken away in boats, out-squealing the whistling of the wind. Slates and chimneys blown off the roofs, and some have told me they felt their houses rock.

W. Nov. 2. Walked out to Sid through the fields on the east side of the river, to call on Mr. Scrivens. The effects of the storm are visible every where. In the first field, over the stone bridge, one half of a large tree in the middle of the field, blown off and lying prostrate; a large limb of an alder by the river side, off; at the top of the first field, and in the walk through the plantation, a large Elm prostrate, uprooted, and fallen all along up through the path, which was blocked, and quiet impassable, until some men, who were at work, had cleared away enough to let people go by; at the top of the plantation another elm down, and this was lying all up the river, with its upper branches on the further side; further on, upon the right, in the hedge running eastward, a large elm uprooted, and up to the timber bridge at Sid, in a hedge on the Sidmouth side, two large elms on the grass. All over the neighbourhood many trees are down.

Tu. 3. Depredators about. A few days ago a drunken tramp made his way, into Sid Abbey, late at night, and thrust his head through a glass door, cutting himself severely - said he had come to beg - too drunk to know what he was about - used violence and disgusting language to those whom he had called out of their beds. Finis - 14 days in Exeter Jail.

On Thursday the 27th. ult. A tramp got into Redlands, and stole some boots, a coat, and other articles, but he has evaded pursuit.

When the south rebelled against the north, in America, and the United States became the Dis-united States, some twenty years ago, the Southerners adopted a new flag, and I have only recently learnt what it was, It is in the margin. One red stripe instead of 13, and eleven stars, I believe the number of States that rebelled.

Fri. 4. The 3 seals annexed illustrate my last paper in the Western Antiquary, advocating the claims of the Griffin to a place on the Courtenay coat of arms. The De Redvers family bore the Griffin for four successive generations, and them Mary De Redvers who had no brother, but eventually was heiress, married Sir Robert de Courtenay. My paper was in the last month’s number of the Western Antiquary. The seals are attached to old Charters granted by members of the family not lone after the Conquest, and though rude, and the strange animals mis-shapen. They are never the less perfectly authentic. The modern form of the griffin I give back at April 17. 1885; and at Dec. 29. 1886.

The papers say that the Prince of Wales was at Truro yesterday, and opened the new Cathedral there, with brilliant and imposing ceremonies

Sat. Nov. 5. Two or three strange gentlemen, like the sketch annexed, paid me a visit during the forenoon. But the boys who carried them seem quite to have forgotten the integrity of the verses they used to recite; [Nov. 5. 1882,] and they seem to be utterly ignorant of the origin or meaning of the celebration. The love of gunpowder makes it popular. There was a torch light procession down the town, and a bonfire on the beach, but the rain came on and damped the ardour of the sports, after dark this evening.

Sun. 6. Strong southerly gale - sea dashing over the Esplanade, and ponding back the river; and the same thing occurred to-night, as occurred last Wednesday, i.e., the water got into the gas-works, and the town was in darkness

M. 7. The Dean of Wells called, and afterwards sent me some books.

Tu. 8. Mr. & Mrs. Stanford, who passed last winter here, called to-day.

Fri. 11. Mr. Scrivens had tea with me.

Tu. 15. An old friend, formerly of Sidmouth, and now of Heavitree, sent me a large plum cake, as a precursor to my coming birthday.

Wed. 16. Mr. & Mrs. Stanford sent me some pears in a basket of flowers.

Th. 17. Another birthday, and I feel wonderfully well, except a continued hissing and singing noise in me head, and a tender throat, that advises me to keep house in cold weather. I should enjoy a good walk over the hills, but it is frosty and cold, with a cutting north-east wind.

I tell my friends that I am 14 to-day, and I prove it thus - 7+7=14

Mr. Edward Chick called, and left me some beautiful pears.

Mr. Kennet-Were, of Cotlands, called, and brought some bunches of the largest grapes I ever saw. They were of his own growing. He told me there was a project on foot for planting a tree to further commemorate the Jubilee year of her Majesty, but have not quite decided

Sculptured stone found in the wall of the church, Wincanton.

I made the above sketch from a photograph given to me by a stranger who had been to Wincanton, and called on me here. He told me the stone was near two feet square. On considering the incongruous and obscure subject, I recollect that St. Dunstan is said to have practised the Blacksmith’s art, and that one day when he was at work at his forge, the Evil One intruded, and that the angry Saint caught him by the nose with his red hot tongs.

One of my domestic’s gave me a teapot and milk jug to commemorate my birthday, and the other worked the initial letters of my three names in Honiton lace. I put the lace on a blue ground in the margin, for I never saw my initial’s in lace before.

W. Nov. 23. Rev. Mr. Jenkinson, now again our Curate, called. Among Sunday things, he told me a curious story for the age in which we live;- that at a house Called Balsters, but now recently Hoptouns, where two ladies live, there had been great alarm for some time, there being no doubt, as the ladies think, that the house is haunted. It seems that that there is a door between a bed room and a dressing-room, that though it is well fastened at night, it is always found open in the morning. [Aside - perhaps it wants a new latch.] Anyhow, the sleepers are very much frightened - so much so, that they have given up the house, and are going or have already, gone away. But they fancy they have seen mysterious figure of an old gentleman pass through the doorway. This was too much for the ladies. The house is a little above the Vicarage - between the Hermitage, and the house next to the entrance to the Elysion Field’s, so called.

Th. 24. The Herring season began near the commencement of the months. But they were not very plenty till lately. The multitudes in the ocean are altogether incalculable. One would think the sea were full of them from shore to shore, and all shores, for we see by the Papers that they are catching them all round Britain, France. &c.

Fri. Nov. 25. Two young men brought me something the other day which at first I could not make out, but examination suggested that it was an old spring Gun. The construction of it was very ingenious. A blunderbus barrel, with a flint lock is fixed in a stock, and a perpendicular spike underneath, enables the whole affair to turn about like a swivel gun. At horizontal rod ubder the stock, is connected with a trigger by a bent arm or lever, and if this rod is jurked or pulled forward, the gun is fired. Another contrivance turns and aims the barrel towards the person to be shot. At the outer end of the rod there are three loose rings, to each of which a long cord may be tied. Suppose then, that the owner od a garden finds that his fruit is stolen at night. Into a hole on the top of a post, or block, or any other pedastal, the spike is put, and the gun will then turn about. At the top off the spike there is a hinge, and a clipping screw, by which the muzzel can be adjusted to any elivation, and there fixed; and then, if the three cords are laid across the garden in any three directions, a trespasser would be sure to catech his foot in one of them, and fire. The mescanism is simple, but certainly clever. The young men knew nothing of its history. It was found among some refuse and rubbish at the back of Little Belgrave, a house behind Belgrave House. They wanted to sell it, and were happy to get half a crown. Spring guns are now against law.

Sun. Nov, 27. Advent Sunday. At church.

M. 28. Called on Mr. Stanford, now at Belgrave House.

December 1887.

Thursday, December 1. Continued boisterous weather.

S. 3. Walked to Mr. Scrivens at Sid. In the evening he had tea with me.

Sun. 4. Parish church. Sacrament.

W. 7. Along with a hard shower of rain, snow flakes.

Th. 8. A brig lost her way in the Channel, owing to the thick and heavy weather, has run upon the reef of rocks at Long Ebb, as it is called, four miles east of Sidmouth towards Branscombe, and is likely to become a total wreck. The crew numbered eleven, but they got ashore. She is nearly new, and copper bottomed. She belongs to Greenock. She has come from La Plata in South America, laden with hides and horns, and was to call at Falmouth for orders, but missed her port. They hope to save the cargo, if they cannot save the ship. She is called the Albany.

Fri. 9. Called at Cotlands, and found Mr. Kennet-Were at home.

S. 10. Ed. Chick at tea. Mons. Jules Ferry shot at in Paris, but not killed.

Th. 15. Isaacs went. Dr. Baker, heretofore of Dawlish, now of Ottery, came in, and he stayed to tea, and then drove home in the dark.

S. 17. Finished and sent off the Index of the XIXth. Volume of the Trans. Dev Assoc, to be printed.

M. 19. Mr. Stanford and his two younger sons had afternoon tea with me.

Tu. 20. Had early dinner with them at Belgrave House.

W. 21. Shortest day. Dark weather. W£ind NE.

Th. 22. The newspapers have an account of one of the longest and severest of pugilistic encounters that has ever taken place in the annals of fighting with fists. To avoid the penalties of the law, the parties went to France, and met on an island in the Seins, 20 miles from Rouen last Monday. There were 83 persons present to witness it. On one side Jack Kilrain, an American Irishman, and Jem Smith, an Englishman, on the other. Stakes £1000 a side. They fought in the most determined manner for two hours and a half, and accomplished 106 rounds, both being dreadfully punished, when darkness came on, and they were obliged to stop. They agreed to consider it a drawn or undecided battle. I thought that prize fighting had been stopped but it is revived again with zest. Among those who were present, appear the names of Lord Churston, aged 41, Captain Grenville, Lord De Clifford 32, Colonel Browne, Marquis of Queensbury 43, Arther and Aubrey Coventry, Lord Mays 36, the Hon. Michael Sandys 38, Mr. Careus, Alfred Savile, Arthur Cooper, and so on, and so on. Some few years ago I saw in the papers a strange account of the Marquis of Queensbury burying his deceased wife in the grass plat near his house, and I am not sure he did not lend a hand with the shovel. The public press made some remarks upon this, which called forth an angry letter from him, justifying the act, and also betraying some very loose religious sentiments - with the word “religious” left out.

Fri. Dec. 23. I have been much interested in reading T.G. Jackson’s clever book on Dalmatia, a country about which I know nothing. The antiquities, and architecture, the features of the country, the multitude of Islands, and the varied races of people among the inhabitants, all contribute their share.

S. 24. More details have arrived about Barnum’s Managerie of wild beasts in their winter quarters at Bridgepost in Connecticut in North America, catching fire on the 20th. of last month. Three Elephents, lions, tigers, and various animals were burnt to death; and thirty Elephants, a Lion, a hippopotamus, and others, partly singed, brooke loose and ran over the country. Great terror every where. The Lion was found in a barn eating a cow, and was shot.

Sun. 25. Christmas Day. A beautiful day, a clear blue sky, a bright sun, but a cutting north-east wind, and too cold for snipes and Eskimoes.

M. 26. Boxing Day, so called - but for what reason I never knew.

W. 28. Finished carving the leaves or scale pattern on the eight octagonal legs for the stand for my small oak bookcase.

Sat. Dec. 31. Last day of the year. All the years seem to come and go pretty much alike, so I shall not indulge in any remarks on 1887.

Last Thursday Thomas Bolt was run over in Sidmouth by a horse and cart. Wheel passed over left arm - bad fracture above elbow - sent to Exeter Hospl.

< Go back to the previous page

Contact Us

East Devon AONB Partnership
Kennaway House
Coburg Road, Sidmouth
EX10 8NG

Tel: 01404 46663

Email : info@eastdevonaonb.org.uk

Subscribe to our e-newsletter

Follow Us:twitter logo

'In the Footsteps of Peter Orlando Hutchinson' outputs

An introductory leaflet to 'In the Footsteps of Peter Orlando Hutchinson' (pdf)

A summary of our Peter Orlando Hutchinson Year 1 achievements (pdf)

About 'In the Footsteps of Peter Orlando Hutchinson'

In the Footsteps of Peter Orlando Hutchinson (2010-2013) has been delivered by the East Devon AONB Partnership on behalf of and with the financial support of Defra, Devon County Council, East Devon District Council, the Heritage Lottery Fund (Your Heritage) and the Sid Vale Association's Keith Owen Trust Fund.

Phil Planel is your first point of contact for this cultural and historic landscapes project.

Find out more >